Unexplored Dimensions of Discrimination
9 June 2012
Sala Manfredi, Castello di Trani
The 2012 European Conference of the Fondazione Ing. Rodolfo Debenedetti addressed the issue of labour market discrimination.
- The first report, entitled “The Wage Gap in the Transition from School to Work” and coordinated by Giovanni Peri (University of California, Davis), studied the role of family background and gender discrimination in access to the labor market in Italy, based on a novel and unique data collection, which follows the career of a sample of individuals since high school. Other participants to the research team were: Luca Flabbi (Georgetown University, USA), Sara de La Rica (Universidad del País Vasco, Spain), Massimo Anelli (University of California, Davis), Mauricio Tejada (Georgetown University, USA) and Ainara González de San Román (Universidad del País Vasco, Spain).
- The second report, entitled “Unexplored Dimensions of Discrimination in Europe: Religion, Homosexuality and Physical Appearance” and coordinated by Eleonora Patacchini (Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”) addressed relatively unexplored dimensions of discrimination, such as physical appereance, religion, and sexual orientation. The report also included the results from a field experiment on the Italian labour market aimed at analysing the effect of perceived homosexuality and of appearance in general on the recruitment process of job applicants. Other participants to the research team: Giuseppe Ragusa (LUISS Guido Carli, Rome) e Yves Zenou (Stockholm University).
Final panel discussion: “Lessons for Equal Opportunities Legislation”
Chairman: Tito Boeri (Università Bocconi and fRDB)
Download the complete press review of the conference.
- Report 1
- Report 2
- Summary Report 1 (Italian)
- Summary Report 2 (Italian)
- Programme (English)
- Programme (Italian)
- Introduction (Boeri)
- First Report Presentation
- First Report Discussion (Flinn)
- First Report Discussion (Hamermesh)
- Second Report Presentation
- Second Report Discussion (van Ours)
- Second Report Discussion (Manning)
- Final Panel (Briguglio)
- Final Panel (Winkler)
- Press review