Education and Training in Europe
VII European Conference
11 June 2005
The Seventh conference took place in Venice on June 11th 2005 on the issues of “Education and Training in Europe“.
The conference is organized in co-operation with Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei and the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, hosting the conference.
The two reports that were presented analyse the role and the effects of education and training both from a micro and a macroeconomic perspective.
The first report on “The Macroeconomics of Education” (executive summary – presentation) analyses the interlinks between education decisions, imperfect labour markets and macroeconomic outcomes. The working group is co-ordinated by étienne Wasmer (Université du Québec à Montréal), together with Peter Fredriksson (Uppsala University), Ana Lamo (European Central Bank), Julian Messina (European Central Bank) and Giovanni Peri (University of California, Davis). This report has been discussed by Francesco Giavazzi (Bocconi University) and Daniel Gros (Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels)
The second report on “Workplace Training in Europe” (executive summary – presentation) analyses training in imperfect labour markets with a particular emphasis on the role of institutions. The co-ordinator of this working group is Giorgio Brunello (University of Padua) together with Andrea Bassanini (OECD and EPEE-University of Evry), Alison Booth (Australian National University and University of Essex), Maria De Paola (Calabria University), and Edwin Leuven (University of Amsterdam). The discussants of this second part were Giuseppe Bertola (University of Turin) and Steve Pischke (London School of Economics).
The conference has been introduced with the presentation of a set of results on education mismatch obtained from an ad hoc survey of Italian high-school and university graduates (available in Italian only), conducted by Carlo Erminero & Co. for the Fondazione Ing. Rodolfo Debenedetti. The microdata of the survey are freely available from our Documentation Centre.
The proceedings of the conference had been collected in a volume published by Oxford University Press.
- Survey of Italian high-school and university graduates
- Presentation by prof. Tito Boeri
- Presentation by Prof. Etienne Wasmer
- Executive Summary of the First Report
- First Report
- Comments by Prof. Francesco Giavazzi
- Comments by Prof. Daniel Gros
- Presentation by Prof. Giorgio Brunello
- Executive Summary of the Second Report
- Second Report
- Comments by Prof. Giuseppe Bertola
- Comments by Prof. Steve Pischke
- Il Sole 24Ore, 10/06/2005
- Corriere Lavoro, 10/06/2005
- Il Sole 24Ore, 11/06/2005
- Corriere della Sera, 12/06/2005
- La Nuova Venezia, 12/06/2005
- Il Gazzettino, 12/06/2005
- La Repubblica, 12/06/2005
- Logistical information